The Minnesota Northstar GWEP is preparing the current and future workforce to care for older adults and create Age-Friendly systems. Our team is implementing a multi-faceted geriatrics training program to reach a wide variety of healthcare providers and interprofessional learners in Minnesota. This program includes:
- The Age-Friendly Care and Education Collection is a rich online resource collection of educational materials. Resources include geriatric care toolkits, learning modules, case studies, clinical tools, patient education materials, and more. This is created in collaboration with the National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education in their Resource Center, which will allow you to explore the collection and contribute your own resources!
- Development of new and updated geriatrics education materials and webinars to include current care challenges, such as substance and opioid use disorder, chronic care self-management, disaster preparedness, and care transitions.
- Training and resources for clinical preceptors in geriatric care and collaborative practice in preparation for student rotations.
- Interprofessional Geriatric Case Competition, an extracurricular activity to enhance the professional and leadership development of health professions students.
- Expanded training for School of Dentistry students, working with other health professionals, to meet the increasing need for greater access to comprehensive dental services for older adults.
- Training personnel in long-term care to maximize safety for older adults, including those with dementia.